Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It Takes A Brain


 Sometimes, it just takes a brain. But when that brain malfunctions, a test called an EEG is often used. It reads the electrical activity of the brain.

 Now, I've been looking for a model of a heart and a model of a brain, for my grandson. He's interested in, and concerned about, my heart, and I am concerned about his brain.
 He really needs an EEG, to find or rule out seizures, but he won't allow it. They have to put electrodes on his scalp to "read" his brain activity. They tried using sedation the first time, to overcome his protests. It was a disaster, trying to "hold him down" while they injected Fentanyl (!) and then another "knock out" drug, into his sensitive little elbow. From what I've heard, it was a most disgusting and brutal display of professional vengeance and stupidity. [expletives deleted] He was understandably traumatized. Because of this, the chance of EVER giving this 4 year old an injection again is probably zero.

 There was a reason for his refusal/tantrum, of course - that being the reason why the child was there for the EEG in the first place! He had some behavioral issues. Like they didn't know this? It was a testing center.
 I've seen this inexcusable behavior before, and the cruelty with which people can sometimes act, is flabbergasting - especially in a children's hospital named "CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL!

 Well, thinking about this makes me angry, and I get chest pains (angina) if I get angry.
 Apparently, the narrow circumflex artery that grows down the backside of my heart instead of starting in the front, contracts - reducing blood flow and oxygen immediately, and causes pain. It's too narrow for a stent. It was possibly the reason for my Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) in 2008, and I don't want another SCA - not just yet, anyway.
 So, I've been taking more heart pills ('Nitro') than I should have to, to stop the angina; while thinking about this ongoing conflict between my little 4 year old buddy and those great big neurologists and psychologists. I need a solution and maybe I have found one.

 First, I get a model of a brain. A real model, not a silly toy. This way, I can use this with my grandson to show him what a brain is. He will absolutely love it, and the learning experience that comes with it. He is a very talented "make believer", and NEVER passes up the chance to learn something new.
 Next, I buy some EEG leads (the wires that stick to the head) and show him some YouTube videos of EEG's in actual use. We practice putting the leads on each other's heads to see whose brain is "working better".
 Finally, IF he's convinced that a real EEG presents no problems and won't hurt him, we can try another, real EEG - without sedation! A sedated brain doesn't show very much.

 So, that's my plan. I think it's a good one but it shouldn't require this on my part, since they had him in the hospital's neuro-clinic for 3 hours before they assaulted him with the syringe - without warning. A toy brain rehearsal would have worked so much better.
They couldn't have done this, themselves?

 It is it ironic that some health providers, like the ones in that hospital, are the
ones who make me sick!


No comments:

Post a Comment